I recently said I thought gravy was for the birds. J.T. Henderson commented, “Now gravy I like – ‘stick-to-the-ribs’ food.” My dad often said the same thing.
We usually like food that will stick to the ribs.
We describe it as:
- Good to taste and good for you
- Long lasting
- Energy giving
Food that sticks to the ribs keeps us going, even on cold, snowy days. It offers comfort. Sometimes it makes us think of home.
Food often described as stick to the ribs includes:
- Chili or thick soup (especially in cold weather)
- Biscuits and gravy (even if I disagree)
- Steak and potatoes
My favorite foods that stick to the ribs include:
- Roast beef with potatoes, carrots, and onions
- Corn from my garden
- Chocolate covered almonds (or almost anything chocolate)
Some foods we say stick to the ribs are not really good for us.
We simply like to eat them.
- We know we should eat whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Yet, we say, “Forget the salad. Give me something that will stick to the ribs.”
“Therefore, whether you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).
Thanks to J.T. Henderson for the idea. What is your favorite stick-to-the-ribs food? Comment below.
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends.